Friday, September 17, 2010

It can be tough out there sometimes -- let's look at the big picture

Sometimes things that happen to people aren’t fair.
Sometimes they just plain stink.
Sometimes it helps to put it all in perspective – this is if you can see through the darkness and wade through the pile of self pity surrounding you.
Sometimes perspective is a hard thing to get.
The life events happening to me in the last few weeks seem incredibly stinky – for lack of a better, more appropriate, non publishable word. I learned a long time ago I shouldn’t address something as “unfair.”
“Life isn’t fair, April,” my high school journalism teacher told me one day while reading an opinion article I wrote. “Explain why something is unjust or wrong, don’t leave it at ‘it’s not fair,’” he sternly said. “It sounds trite.”
Of course I had to look up what “trite” meant. But he was very right – life isn’t fair.
But getting a little perspective on the issue: my unjust events aren’t really weighty on the overall scale of life. I am not sick or dying, nor is anyone I care about. I am not homeless, and not quite penniless. There is food in the refrigerator and gas in my car. I have not been discriminated against or wrongfully accused. I have friends and family who love me.
These current issues are a mere blip in the timeline of my life. In retrospect … ok, I’m not quite ready for retrospect mode, but hopefully I will be soon.
I think there’s still a pile of pity by my right foot.
May all of you find a little perspective today, too.

No comments: