Thursday, April 8, 2010

Marshalltown -- thy name was swill

Marshalltown has a coffeehouse!
Marshalltown has a coffeehouse!
Marshalltown has a coffeehouse!
No, I'm not excited or anything.
Our fair city has floundered when it comes to operating any independent coffee house for any real length of time and those that have stood the test of time leave something to be desired. No, no one in a small city would want coffee after 4 p.m. and those who do surely don't just want it in a coffeehouse setting -- they would of course want a full meal in a restaurant environment. Right ...
Today I decide to be optimistic -- a rare feat I know -- and had enough courage to put this new place to the test. And it was, in a word, great!
I started out slow, with my standard non-fat, vanilla latte and ordered a small size, just in case. Nothing is worse than getting a large espresso drink, thinking it's going to be fabulous and getting a mouthful of milky, coffee-like swill. It has happened to me oh, too many times here. This was far from swill. This was (and I'm making a declaration to all my savvy readers) the best latte I've ever had in Marshalltown.
The sky might be falling.
Now, this was no Starbucks, Java Joe's, Cup of Joe's or Java House, but it has serious potential. Haven, the coffeehouse/small restaurant, has actual hours of operation where those of us with jobs not in the downtown area can still make it to pick up a daily cup of joe. (Monday through Friday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.) Not only do they have decent hours and above average coffee, the staff was friendly and the place is super chic.
Haven -- maximum occupancy 32 -- you're on my new favorites list.

1 comment:

I am Tammy said...

I've not had a chance to go in there yet but from the comments I've heard so far, they've all been pretty good.