Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It doesn't matter what language men speak

So there I am, minding my own business in a department store, drooling over the latest rich, radiant color in the Fiestaware line, when I hear, "Voy el bano."

Now, even with 5.5 years of Spanish under my belt and actually retaining very little of it, I knew what this meant: "I'm going to the bathroom."

Very rarely do I understand any Spanish in its entirety, so I look up and hear it again, "Voy el bano."

A woman is saying this to a man, who I assume is her boyfriend. The man is intently looking at the photo frames near me.

"OK," she pauses after she says the word, looking at her boyfriend.

He gives her no response.

"OK," she says again.

Still no response.

She turns and heads in the direction of the bathroom.

The man picks up a frame and takes it to the register. He then begins to lazily look around the department. I already knew what would happen, but had to watch the series of events unfold.

The man heads to the exterior doors of the department store and looks outside. No girlfriend.

He walks down the long aisle to the women's clothing department. No girlfriend.

He strolls back into the original department he was in and turns his head, left then right, with a perplexed look on his face. He stops, dead in his tracks. No girlfriend.

Really, it had come to the point where I just felt sorry for the guy. We make eye contact and I say, "She went to the bathroom."

"Oh," he chuckles and gives me a half smile, "Thanks."

And with that, he heads off in the direction of the bathroom.

Baring witness to this event left me with only one conclusion: It doesn't matter which language they speak, men don't listen.

No comments: